Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Know Thy Self? Click.

If you asked me about the latest uprising in the Arab world or the last natural disaster that threatened to wipe out the population of a small country, I'd be able to tell you faster than you can say Click. In fact, most of us would. Facebook has become my news channel ("What would you do if you had 8.5 billion?", a friend's status reads. This is code language for "someone bought someone else for way too much"). And YouTube my entertainment hub ("Lady Gaga Hair - Audio" tops today's Most Popular list. What else does one need?). I could tell you what my baking-enthusiast friend Sally baked @ 23:45, in the same breath as I can tell you who won the Cricket World Cup just seconds earlier. A click has officially become the beginning and end of my day. And other people's business has officially become mine.

But ask me a simple question like "What's the best thing that happened to you all week ?", and I might be stumped. Cold. So this week I went on a mission. Get to know myself better.

Here's the 5 Things I Found Out (Or Already Sub-Consciously Knew) About Myself based on things I did this past week:
1) I'll read anything that is a numbered list of something. 100 most influential people. 5 Worst things you can say to your date. 20 best TV Moments this year. From the inspiring to the mundane - if its got a number, its got my attention.

2) Caramel Machiatto is my comfort drink & a trip to the cafe my comfort drive/walk. A great presentation? Trip to the cafe! A not-so-great meeting? Trip to the cafe.

3) I'll say something nice to someone who's low, if only to make them feel better. I feel everyone needs a shot in the arm of plain and simple "niceness", once in a while.

4) I get a secret thrill in gifting people things they'd mentioned a long time ago. A Green M&Ms mug, a CD collection of Cirque Du Soleil music & a green, glow-in-the-dark sword, fall in this category. My latest you-thought-I-didn't-hear-you-but-I-did gift - a spa massage for my mom on Mother's Day.

5) I hate broccoli. OK, this one's obvious and common. But who says I can't state the obvious. I've tried it in Thai food, on pizza and in charred form (the fantastic folks at Black Bottle seem to think that burning the heck out of it will make it more palatable). Somehow, my taste buds seems to reject it in any shape or form.

That's enough self-analysis for a week. Back to the real-world. Better let my 461 friends on Facebook know I'm still alive. Click.

No comments: